Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Folklore at Work = Trip to Dentist

You are probably thinking...."Why is there a picture of dental impressions?"  Well first, I think they are pretty cool, they are my impressions, and they have given me a new appreciation for my teeth of which I previously maintained low opinions.

While I was pregnant, I heard of some old midwifery folklore - For every child a woman bears she loses a tooth.  My immediate reaction was determination to keep my teeth in my head.  I made sure I was ingesting enough calcium and vitamin D not just with prenatal vitamins, but diet as well as sunshine.  The later being scarce in Frankfurt from November to April.  But I don't like going to the dentist - there is always something wrong - generally a cavity which requires filling.

So, a few months ago, when a tooth started bothering me I had a foreboding feeling that a root canal was in my future.  Was I surprised?  No.  But why did the folklore have to become true in a foreign country where I was unfamiliar with dental practices.  Because nature waits for no one.  Time to buck up!

Well, on the recommendation of a friend, I made an appointment with Dr. Schmitz - no this is not an advertisement, but I highly recommend this dental practice (Zahn Praxis) in the Frankfurt city center near Goetheplatz.  The whole staff happily spoke English with me and made sure that I was comfortable and had all my questions answered.  Dr. Schmitz determined that I needed a root canal and crown.  Argh!

After four appointments, I have a no pain and a tooth with a porcelain crown that is as good as new.  The out of pocket costs are similar to the US.  Got to love insurance.  We didn't have to pay to have a baby or a midwife making home visits, but by golly I paid to have my tooth drilled, cleaned, impressed, and finally sealed up with a crown.  I am pretty sure the costs are similar to the US after talking with my Dad.  And maybe I could have found a cheaper dentist or gone to an Eastern European country like some do because it is cheaper, but I would not change it for anything.  Peace of mind is priceless - especially when it comes to health care.

Dr. Schmitz even let me keep the impressions of my teeth.  I guess I did pay for them so why not.  I am thankful for the dental practice that I've found here in Frankfurt.

What other folklore is out there waiting for me to discover - literally?

No comments:

Post a Comment